You want the best public relations and communications support you can get. As a communications firm, we also want to provide the best service and results as possible. Communications is a partnership business. To ensure your investment is put to good use, below are five ways to make sure your communications or PR firm is set up for success on your behalf.
- Be available. You don’t hire a PR firm and then walk away. Expect to hear from them a lot, especially in the first few months of the relationship. We need to know your unique stories, background, objectives, people, and culture in order to portray you in the best light. By communicating to us often, we are able to better communicate YOU to the external world.
- Ask us questions. If you don’t understand what we are doing or why, please let us know. Some of us have been in the business of reputation and image management a long time. We often instinctively take action given our experience. This means we are being efficient, but we also want you to be comfortable with our work.
- Share with us as much as you can. This means telling us about your business, your wins and successes, and, yes, even your failures. We can’t help you, if we don’t know what’s going on. I have yet to hear a PR person say a client gave them too much information. We are insatiable information consumers.
- Tell us how we are doing. We can’t fix problems if we don’t know they exist. Not getting along with a team member? Not happy with the way something is worded? Unclear as to why something happened the way it happened? Let us know and we can fix it. We’re problem solvers.
- Share your ideas. You know your business better than anyone. Have an idea that you think would positively impact your reputation, image or story? Let us know. We come loaded with ideas, but we want to do what works no matter where it comes from.