Yesterday, I discussed how important it is to know your audiences deeper than ever before.
Today, could you answer the following questions about your prime target, your sweet spot customer, the group or person you need to influence?
- What are the top 5 things on their minds right now? What is keeping them up at night? (e.g. keeping their jobs, growing their company, completing a project? Something more specific?)
- And, what magic wand do they wish they had to resolve their concerns, issues or challenges?
- What are 3 things that motivate them? What is most precious to them (e.g. time, money, health/vitality, power, success/admiration, security, comfort, legacy, making a difference/contribution)?
- What tone of voice attracts them? (e.g. humor/entertainment, serious business/security, urgency?)
- What was their defining moment or defining experience that led them to possibly needing you and what you have to offer?
Whether or not you are about to make a sales pitch, are getting ready for a presentation or speech, about to launch a fundraising effort or other activity, knowing the answers to these questions will make your stories and presentations and messages much more powerful. Take the time to answer them.